Resources here run the gamut from practice start-up tips and best practices for hiring staff to patient satisfaction surveys and locating discounted office supplies.
- MMS Guide to Retail and Urgent Care Clinics for Physician Practices
This MMS resource guide discusses the scope of retail clinics in Massachusetts, urgent care centers and the reemergence of convenience care, parallels and differences between retail clinics and urgent care center and key considerations for practices.
- The Massachusetts Earned Sick Time Law: What Every Employer Needs To Know
An MMS guide, written for physician practice owners and managers, about the state law requiring employers to allow their employees to accrue and use sick leave.
- Mass Collaborative
The MMS is an active participant in the Mass Collaborative, a voluntary, open organization of more than 35 payers, providers, and trade associations dedicated to reducing complex and cumbersome health care administrative processes in Massachusetts. The Mass Collaborative works on
reducing administrative burden in many areas, examples of which include, standardization of prior authorization forms and a focus on improving the credentialing process for providers.
- MMS Guide to Practice Transition or Retirement
This guide covers seven practice transition areas: Retirement, selling the practice, closing the practice, transitioning to part-time, moving to employed status, moving to another practice, and physician death.
- Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT): Virtual Credit Card Vs. Direct Deposit
Some health plans have been issuing physician practices consumer credit cards or virtual credit cards as payment for their services instead of depositing funds directly to bank accounts. Physicians should be aware of fees that can be associated with the credit card option.
- Health Plan Financial Report: Condition and Performance of Major Massachusetts Plans for the Period 2011-2013
An analysis of the financial status and condition of the major health plans operating in Massachusetts, for the three year period 2011-2013.
- Opening a Practice (.pdf, 5 pages)
When a doctor is opening a new practice, the following information will provide a step by step process from setting up utilities to ensuring your contracts with Health Insurers are up to date.
- Resources for Starting a Practice in Massachusetts
- Creating a Business Plan: A Guide to Developing and Writing a Business Plan for Your Practice
- Mutual Confidentiality and Non Disclosure Agreement
A model agreement for the exchange of confidential information for specific purposes, such as soliciting proposals to merge or align organizations.
- Practice Valuation: A Guide to Establishing a Baseline Value for Your Practice
- Evaluating Practice Costs in Massachusetts: A Guide to Assessing Practice Operations (.pdf, 7 pages)
This guide will provide specific steps to assist practices evaluating operating costs. It provides a general template for the evaluation and discusses how operating costs may be classified and considered.
- Global Payments and Accountable Care Organizations
This Massachusetts Medical Society white paper provides an overview of global payments and accountable care organizations, and outlines the issues physicians must consider when either establishing or joining an accountable care organization.
- Payer Contracts: Understanding the Essentials
- Modeling Revenue Flow
This document is provided to help doctors understand the process of revenue evaluation and the value of modeling revenue flow.
- Securing Your Identity: Prospective and Retrospective Considerations
Reports of possible breaches of physician data make it imperative that physicians maintain the security of their personal and professional data. This white paper discusses how to identify and reduce risks, and what to do if your data has been stolen, or if
you believe it may have been stolen.
- Practice Insurance Checklist
- Practice Closing Checklist
Summary of tasks to be considered and completed in preparation for closing a practice
Physicians' Insurance Agency of Massachusetts offers a range of insurance services, such as professional liability coverage, workers' compensation, business insurance, and personal insurance coverage such as homeowners and auto insurance.
Everything you need to know about the conversion to ICD-10 diagnostic coding. The start date for implementation is now October 1, 2015.
Read more ››
Closing a Practice
- Model Physician Employment Contract (.pdf, 38 pages)
- Model Medical Staff ByLaws
The MMS has developed model bylaws to help hospital medical staffs draft or revise their bylaws. The MMS model is based on Massachusetts and Massachusetts Medical Society policy and its principles for incident-based peer review. (Members-only content)
Marketing and Patient Satisfaction