Payment Reform and ACOs
News and resources on state and federal efforts to implement new practice models for physicians, hospitals, and other health care providers.
The state legislature has passed legislation to promote the development of alternative health care provider payment systems in Massachusetts and control the rising cost of health care.
In October 2011, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services released final rules on the formation and operation of Medicare accountable care organizations.
Resources for Physicians
- Massachusetts Health Care Delivery System Roadmap
An overview of hospital systems, large physician groups and health plans currently operating in Massachusetts. (.pdf, 6 pages)
- Large Physician Groups in Massachusetts
Map and listing of physician groups in Massachusetts with 100 or more physicians. (.pdf, 2 pages)
- A Path to Accountable Care Organizations: How Do We Get There from Here?
One page summaries of an MMS symposium on accountable care organizations that featured five speakers addressing the key considerations for ACO formation and operations.
(Sept. 13, 2011)
- Physicians' How-To Guide on ACOs
AMA white paper that covers such issues as ACO governance, partnering with hospitals and health plans, EHRs and federal incentive payments, and managing anti-trust risk. Third edition, published 2012. (.pdf, 172 pages)
- Payment Reform Symposium: "Toward a Shared Vision of Payment Reform"
Slides, summaries and video excerpts from a full-day conference on accountable care organizations in theory and in practice - what works, what doesn't. Co-sponsored by the MMS and The Commonwealth Fund.
(Oct 21, 2010)
- MMS Video Series on Global Payments - How They Did It, and What Works
A series of three videos produced by MMS with physician leaders who discuss the elements that are necessary for physician practices to succeed under a global payment arrangement.
The speakers are Barbara Spivak from the Mount Auburn-Cambridge IPA, Richard Lopez from Atrius Health, and Richard Parker from the Beth Israel Deaconess Physician Organization.
(Dec. 30, 2009)
- MMS White Paper - Global Payments and Accountable Care Organizations
An overview of accountable care organizations, and the issues physician practices must consider when either establishing or joining an ACO.
(Dec. 30, 2009)
- Common Elements of Health Systems Using Global and Episodic Payment Models
MMS white paper examines the experience of several health care systems around the country that have incorporated global, as well as episodic, payment models.
(August 02, 2010)
MMS Accountable Care Organization Principles
- Adopted by the Massachusetts Medical Society in 2011 and the American Medical Association in 2010. Read more.